Sunday, March 2, 2014

Patriotism

pa·tri·ot·ism (n.) devoted love, support, and defense of one's country; national loyalty

To many, patriotism is a feeling that surfaces a handful of times throughout the calendar year. It's always there, but they are only reminded to display it on a few given days - Memorial Day, Fourth of July, September 11th, Veteran's Day to name a few.

To the military community, patriotism is their life. 

Nothing warms my heart more than when I stand in Michie Stadium at the United States Military Academy at West Point each weekend in the fall surrounded by soldiers - many of them my high school friends - while the National Anthem is played.

Or when I am driving during the afternoon and the entire post stops, gets out of their cars, and faces the direction of the flag as it is lowered during the retreat ceremony, signifying the official end of the duty day while paying respect to the flag.

Or when I see little kids outside playing, wearing a cover with their parent's name tape displayed across the back.

Or when I am at work, babysitting for many military families, and I tuck the kids away to bed while they squeeze their "daddy doll" - a stuffed man wearing ACU's with a picture of their daddy's face displayed at the head.

Or when I get to spend the Fourth of July (or any day of the week for that matter) with my very own soldier.

Patriotism.

Below are others who absolutely agree with me:

"There is nothing, absolutely not a single thing, that compares to the feeling I get when I see my husband in uniform in formation with other soldiers...An overwhelming feeling of pride and patriotism just sweeps over me and, in my experience, usually has the same effect on family and even friends who are completely unattached to the military. That kind of camaraderie and selflessness just cannot be found anywhere else other than our world." - Kayla Witt, wife of 2LT Bradford Witt, US Army
"I never thought I would tear up almost every time I hear the National Anthem, but I do. It takes on a whole new meaning, especially when your soldier is deployed. We teach our kids to be respectful of the flag, the National Anthem, and the Pledge. They have greater meaning to us than your average civilian." - Sarah Soyka, wife of Maj. Michael Soyka, US Army
"People with a connection to the military have a different connection to our country and the flag because we have sacrificed directly for it." - Casey Elliott, daughter of LTC Charles Elliott, US Army

This is patriotism...a daily and constant reminder of love, support, and thankfulness for those who wear military rank, the individuals who stand beside them, our freedom, and a love for our great country.

No comments:

Post a Comment